Wednesday, September 16, 2009

When it's not fun

I got to start a new Charm class tonight - a class for not so nice dogs - and looking at these owners brought me back to when I was going through this with my own dog. Sand is a not so nice dog. I was the hated person in the neighborhood. Seemingly the only person in the world with an aggressive Lab. I turned to techniques that killed my relationship. My dog was a puddle at my feet and I was heartbroken. After this I committed myself to turning our training and relationship around. I got to see this tonight in one student. I got to see someone take the first step toward crossing over from force and pain. Training should be fun for both parties. Training should open doors to a fulling relationship. Next time you feel like resorting to force, look into your dog's eyes.

No comments: